Monday, May 26, 2014

Review - Green Virgin Products

I'd like to introduce you to Green Virgin Products (GVP).

Ken & Lola Marion, owners of GVP, lost a family member to cancer. Their loved one was only 52, a non-smoker, and lived a healthy lifestyle. After his death, the couple began researching the causes of cancer and learned that many common household cleansers and detergents contain carcinogens, which are cancer-causing chemicals. They wanted safe, Eco-friendly products and believed that others would want the same.

GVP was born in 2009. All of their products are non-toxic and tested to ensure that they are of the highest quality and effectiveness. If you look at the bottom of their website, you'll see that they are a Certified Green America Business.

I was sent three products to try: Soap Nuts Liquid Detergent, Non-toxic Stain Remover, and 100% Moringa Oil

Soap Nuts Liquid Detergent

Review of Liquid Soap Nuts by Green Virgin Products
GVP Liquid Soap Nuts
are more effective than
raw nuts
This laundry detergent contains three ingredients:
  • Sapindus Mukorossi soap nut liquid made from USDA Certified Organic Sapindus Mukorossi Soap Nuts
  • caprylyl glycol
  • phenethyl alcohol
It comes in a recyclable plastic container (recycle symbol #1) with a pump top for easy measuring (each pump dispenses a precisely measured amount). I have a top-loading machine and used three pumps for a large load of cloths. The brown fluid can be used in any water temperature ... I use cold. Since soap nuts have fabric softening qualities, no laundry softener (even vinegar) is required. No fragrances are added. The natural smell of the liquid reminds me of leaves in the fall ... a slight musty, grassy scent.

I was amazed at the small amount of liquid dispensed into my washer and worried that my cloths wouldn't come out clean. But, as promised, this detergent did a wonderful job. Everything was clean and fresh. And, my cloths felt soft.

The product comes in both 8-ounce and 16-ounces bottles. While these bottles could be refilled, I was unable to find refills in their online shop. Hopefully that's an option which the company will consider adding to their product line.

Non-toxic Stain Remover

Review of Non-toxic Stain Remover by Green Virgin Products
This stain remover
works on carpets, too
This is a generous 5-ounce solid bar. Simply wet the bar, gather some of the soap on an old toothbrush, and scrub the stain. Toss the item in the washing machine and launder as normal. No more stain.

I've used solid bar stain treatments before. This product works equally well. The big difference is that commercial brands typically include petroleum-based products and have skin irritation concerns. GVP stain remover bars do not.

Review of 100% Moringa Oil available at Green Virgin Products
Moringa Oil has a
long shelf life

100% Moringa Oil

I had never heard of this oil, sometimes referred to as "Ben Oil". In truth, I wasn't sure if it was something used in cooking, to polish furniture, or used for medicinal purposes. While it can be used in cooking and is used as a remedy for skin irritations, its most common use is in skin-care products.

Moringa Oil is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, copper and calcium (all beneficial for healthy skin), and has moisturizing and cleansing properties.

The oil which I received is meant to be used directly on the skin. It is 100% pure, USDA certified organic.

I used a small amount, on my face, instead of my usual moisturizer. It quickly absorbed into my skin leaving a soft, silky feel. I also applied some to my lips ... it doubled nicely as a lip "balm", preventing dryness throughout the day. The oil has a very pleasant nutty smell and leaves no oily residue. My skin felt great!

A little goes a long ways so the 4-ounce bottle will last a long time!

Special Offer

Between now and June 1, 2014, GVP is generously offering Reduce Footprints' readers 15% off any purchase. Visit our SPECIAL OFFERS PAGE for details and a discount code.

Green Virgin Products

Green Virgin Products are simple yet effective. Consumers won't find a list of fragrance choices or separate formulas for different jobs (as in detergents for hot, warm, and cold water washing). Each product is tested and guaranteed.

Please visit GREEN VIRGIN PRODUCTS for their complete line and additional information on the items which I reviewed.


I received Green Virgin Products in order to write this review. I received no other compensation. All opinions expressed are mine and mine alone and reflect my honest opinion of the items reviewed.